Encountering errors in Word when using EndNote
When you work on a word document using EndNote, you might encounter these errors such as Word crashing, bibliographies appearing multiple times, and/or deleted items reappearing. These errors may occur because you have residual EndNote field codes in your document. This residual appears when you don’t delete EndNote citations/references properly (using Edit and Manage Citations > Remove Citation instead of the delete key).
To remove residual EndNote field codes and ‘clean up’ your Word document, firstly, make a backup copy of your document for safe-keeping, then:
- In Word, in the EndNote tab, click on Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations
- Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything
- Press [Ctrl]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes
- Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text
- Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste
- Now, ensuring that your EndNote library is open, in your new Word document, in the EndNote tab, click on Update Citations and Bibliography
This action will reformat your document in your chosen style.
In the future, you have to remember to properly delete EndNote citations/references to make sure residual field codes do not cause problems again. Use the Highlight > Edit and Manage Citations > Remove Citation instead of using the delete key.
If you are still having problems after following the instructions above, please do get in touch with CIFOR ICRAF library at firstname.lastname@example.org.